Magento is the Creare weapon of choice when it comes to e-commerce Design and Development. It’s cost effective, scalable and because it’s open source, there is a great community behind it.
Why do people choose Magento?
Where do i start? Magento offers immense flexibility for all businesses, and there are so many benefits, the main ones being…
- Good for SEO – Structurally built making onsite SEO integration a breeze
- Scalable – Expandable product catalog, Create additional Stores, Languages and more!
- Great Platform improves Sales – Easy to use platform for your customer. You can include Upsells (You may also like), Cross-sells (Items recommended in the Checkout) and Related products.
- Open-Source – Great for expanding, a big online community for technical support and questions.
- Cost Effective - Community Edition is FREE.
- Lot’s of Plugins available – Great for expansion and to customise the platform more bespoke to your business.
- Used by top companies – Nike, Lindt, Paul Smith, Fiji Water, Olympus, Men’s Health, Breville and more.
- Integrate with other Platforms – Integrate with Amazon, Ebay and Google Shopping to help increase sales.
In October 2012 e-commerce survey, Alexa provided some statistics on eCcommerce sites:
Out of the Alexa top 1 Million sites, 35, 218 were e-commerce platforms. This showed a 4% increase since the previous e-commerce survey 6 months before. Out of the 35,218 e-commerce sites, there were 8,087 Magento websites, meaning Magento has a 23% share - Just under a 1/4 of the e-commerce market share!. The results included 11 main Platforms including Zen Cart, VirtueMart, OsCommerce and Others. With Zen Cart being second, with just over 50% (4541) sites in comparison to Magento (8087). Additionally, since the February survey, Magento has seen a 20% growth rate!
Chart based on the Top 1 Million sites
In the Alexa top 100k stores, you would expect to see bigger platforms and more Blue-Chip and Enterprise based e-commerce solutions. Out of the 1623 e-commerce stores, Magento still tops the charts with 403 of these stores being Magento. Other carts include the usual enterprise platforms IBM WebSphere (2nd) and ATG (3rd).
Chart based on the Top 1K sites
Magento is by far the best e-commerce Platform around for all business sizes.
About The Survey
The Survey is conducted by Alexa (an Amazon owned company). The survey analyses the homepage of each site against a library of over 170 signatures or rules that identifies the individual e-commerce platform. In a Magento website, a unique identifier would be that the site references /js/varien/menu.js, /js/varien/form.js, /js/varien/js.js.
Thanks to Tom Robertshaw for providing us with the statistics and Visual Charts.